If you’re craving a good old fashioned, classic meatloaf recipe, but are watching your calories, then this is the recipe for you! This low carb Turkey Meatloaf recipe is a healthier twist on a good old classic. By simply substituting ground turkey for the ground beef, you are saving yourself a ton of calories!
I really do enjoy recipes with ground turkey and finding new ways to make the switch over from beef. You may be saying something like, ‘nope, it’s absolutely flavorless.” And you would be right, until you try this one! It makes it the perfect protein to pick up any flavors you’re incorporating into your dish!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
When it comes to ground turkey, you are in control here. You pick the flavor of the meal and the rest will follow suit.
It won’t overpower any of your other ingredients and will allow your fresh ingredients to shine! This recipe is great because you can customize your flavors by pairing the main dish with your favorite side dishes!
A Family Friendly Weeknight Recipe
Low and behold, I’ve found a dinner my kids will eat that isn’t chicken nuggets and pizza. They are both so picky, however they love these mini turkey meatloaves!
Their cute fun shape and the ketchup BBQ glaze really seal the deal here. I don’t have to coax them or bribe them to eat their dinner!
There are THREE other bonuses to this easy ground turkey recipe:
- It’s insanely adaptable. You can add spinach or kale, shredded carrots, or peas to add more veggies. You can play with the seasonings and the glaze to make it your own. You can try rolled oats instead of breadcrumbs. It’s so versatile!
- You can get home, open the fridge, and have dinner on the table in less than an hour.
- It can also be a great meal for a dinner party. Everyone gets their own flavor packed mini turkey meatloaf on their dish and there is no need for passing heavy serving dishes around. You won’t have to worry if everyone gets a piece, because you’ll make enough for everyone. And you can make this rather inexpensively, but still feed lots of people!
How to cook ground turkey
The secret to a great turkey meatloaf is getting enough big flavor in there and getting the right consistency.
I always recommend using flavored breadcrumbs, preferably the kind that is already seasoned with Italian spices. They are packed with flavor! Not only that, but using breadcrumbs in meatloaf acts like a binder.
The combination of the breadcrumbs and eggs are how you keep turkey meatloaf from falling apart.
Make sure you are also using finely chopped fresh onion and garlic, and enough of it, because this is really where you’ll get the most bang for your buck. With this recipe, it’s better to over-do it than under-do it.
This dish is super easy to make and is technically a sheet pan meal!
Follow These Steps
First, make sure your oven is nice and hot by pre-heating it to 400 degrees. Next, chop all of your veggies (garlic and onion) and add them to a large mixing bowl. Simply add the rest of the ingredients on the list, except for the BBQ sauce and Ketchup.
Now, mix the ingredients thoroughly. The best thing to do is use the folding technique to ensure equal distribution of all ingredients.
Consistency is key here. You don’t want to overwork the mixture, which will make them dense. But you need to mix it well enough.
Also, bear in mind the texture. If the ingredients are too wet, you’ll want to slowly add more breadcrumbs. If too dry, slowly add milk. You want the mixture to be a sticky consistency that holds together well.
Next step is to make the mini meatloaves. Take a large handful size portion from the bowl and roll it in your palm until you make a ball. The ball should stay in tact and the mixture should stop sticking to your fingers. Then, shape it slightly into an oval for that classic meatloaf shape.
Place on a greased baking sheet or leaf pan and continue until finished with the mixture.
Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and in the meantime, make the glaze. After 20 minutes, top the meatloaf with the glaze and continue cooking for 5 minutes to allow the glaze to seep into the protein.
Serve with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
Low Carb Recipes You’ll Love!
Mini Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs, with Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup Chopped yellow onion
- 2 large Eggs
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbls Ketchup
- 3 tbls BBQ Sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare your dish first by mincing the garlic finely
- Next, chop the onion into small pieces
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, eggs, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well until thoroughly combined. If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until you get to a tacky, sticky consistency. If it is too wet, gradually add more breadcrumbs.
- Next, separate the mixture evenly into mini meatloaves. They should be about the size of your palm and packed enough to hold their shape.
- Place on a greased sheet pan and place in the oven
- Bake the meatloaves for 20 minutes
- As the meatloaves are cooking, combing the BBQ sauce and Ketchup. At the 20 minute mark, remove the meatloaves from the oven and slather the mixture on top of each meatloaf.
- Then, place back in the oven for another 20 minutes, or until cooked through.