There is something truly refreshing about delicious Mediterranean food. Simple and bright ingredients come together in the amazing Greek Chicken and Rice Bowl with fresh veggies and big taste. Whether you’re looking for a heartier dinner worthy version of a Greek salad or a fresh meal prep recipe, this rice bowl is it.
Aside from a bit of chopping, marinating and prep work, this requires minimal effort to bring this meal together and enjoy a simple chicken with feta recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
You can keep your calorie count low with lean proteins and still achieve mega flavor. And the secret is in the marinade and using a really, really, good feta cheese, like this Mt. Vikos feta cheese option.
Preparing boneless chicken breast
There is nothing worse than looking forward to digging into a dish only to take a bite and taste nothing. And that will happen often when cooking with chicken if you don’t prep it correctly.
First things first, you need to trim the boneless chicken breast to remove excess fat and silverskin (that little white membrane type thing that runs through the middle of the breast).
Next, slice the chicken along and down the side to thin the meat by “butterflying” it. The goal is to thin it out for a more even and thorough cook.
If you’ve never butterflied a chicken breast before, here is a great video that shows you exactly how to do it.
Once sliced, place the pieces of chicken (depending on how much you’re preparing) on a cutting board and sprinkle each side with a light dusting of salt and pepper. Poke each piece with a fork a bunch of times on each side. This gives the dressing a little room to get nice and deep into the meat. Then, cover it with a single sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap.
Next, tenderize the chicken by hitting it with a meat mallet or rolling pin. The goal is to achieve a consistent thickness among all of the pieces and to soften the tissue.
Greek marinade for chicken
Now that you have perfectly prepared chicken breast, it’s time to assemble the Mediterranean marinade.
In a large ziplock bag, or tupperware with a lid, add the oregano, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olives and salt along with the chicken and mix it well. Allow it to soak in the mixture for at least one hour before cooking. Turn or massage the meat from time to time to get all that flavor in the protein.
I could probably put this amazing marinade on anything, drink it by itself, or even use it as a salad dressing. It is all of the flavors I love, from tart to sour to slightly sweet, it hits all the right notes for me! There probably aren’t many other ways I’d rather enjoy any other recipe that uses chicken and feta to be honest.
Assembling the Bowl
After you’ve gotten the marinade going and have given it time to rest, the following steps are all about the assembly.
The rice bowl here is made with an white instant rice, which we cook according to the package directions. (Hello, time saver.)
Then, we chop fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and olives, toss it in the Greek vinaigrette (the other half of the marinade we made) and crumble the feta cheese, layering it all on top of the rice while the chicken cooks.
Once the chicken is done cooking on the stove top grill, add the chicken with feta on top of the rice and veggies and serve immediately.
Greek Chicken and Rice Bowl Recipe
Recipes You’ll Love
Greek Chicken and Rice Bowl Recipe
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice set aside 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large green olives
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 large English Cucumber chopped
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- ¼ c red onion chopped
- 2 oz sour cream
- ½ c feta cheese
- 2 cups cooked white rice
For the marinade
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside half of this dressing for the chicken marinade and the other half for the fresh veggies.
- Using half of the marinade, in a ziplock bag or a large bowl add the trimmed chicken, mix well and set aside for at least one hour.
For the bowl
- Cook rice according to instructions on package. We like the boil-in-a-bag!
- As the rice boils, chop the cucumber and tomato and remove seeds, and chop the onion. Add veggies to a bowl and mix in the other half of the marinade and set aside.
- Once ready, you will cook the chicken on medium-high heat on a stove top grill (or you can pan sear if you don’t have a grill)
- Grill the chicken on each side for 4- 5 minutes or until cooked through. Slice and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine sour cream and the lemon zest adding a small drizzle of water until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice evenly between both bowls first, then layer on the dressed veggies adding any leftover dressing as desired. Top off with the grilled chicken and drizzle the sour cream mixture on top. Then, finish it with a healthy sprinkle of the feta cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy.