If you’re looking for one of the tastiest and easiest low carb recipe to spice up your weekly meal plan; it’s this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe.
There is so much flavor and texture that comes from this super simple dish with so few ingredients. Your family won’t even realize you’ve tricked them into a low carb meal!
What is in an egg roll?
Eggrolls are traditionally filled with cooked pork, cooked egg, cabbage, carrots and some ginger along with seasonings. They are then wrapped in a flour based wrap and fried to crispy goodness.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
You can dip them into traditional take-out condiments like soy sauce, hot mustard, duck sauce or Asian hot sauce. Or, my favorite condiment mixing scenario: a mix of the Asian hot sauce and duck sauce. YUM.
However, if we’re watching budgets or waistlines and opting for low carb, homemade Chinese take-out options, this is a perfect solution that satisfies that greasy crispy craving.
Do egg rolls freeze well?
Honestly, I don’t think they do. They are good for leftovers to enjoy the next day, but that’s about it.
In my experience, any leafy green like cabbage, especially cooked cabbage, ends up mushy. The whole profile of the food changes and become texture-less and flavorless.
If you’re thinking about making it and freezing it, you’re probably just better off making the pork and then adding that to fresh ingredients when you need it. It can be made, start to finish, in no time at all.
Egg Roll In a Bowl Ingredients
It’s almost hard to wrap your head around how easy this recipe is made when we take a few well deserved shortcuts.
With a few ingredients you likely already have, buying your ground pork and fresh veggies is going to be the key.
You know how in traditional egg rolls, they are filled with the tiniest slivers of mixed vegetables? We’re going to have those thin little veggies in our bowl too, but we’re going to cheat.
Let’s be real, who has time to shred and shave three different vegetables? Not I. So make sure you purchase a big bag of cole slaw mix, like this one from Whole Foods! Yup, major time saver!
Just put the actual bag of dressing that comes with it aside for another use. We’ll just be using the slaw.
Use good, low sodium sauce sauce and the real siracha sauce!
If you know me and how I run my kitchen, you know it’s all about substitutions to make something out of what I already have.
Don’t have ground pork? You can use any type of sausage you have on hand. Or, you cant use any white meat, lean protein in it’s place.
Don’t eat pork? I know lot’s of folks don’t, so don’t fret! Other options for lean meat that can be used are ground chicken or ground turkey.
Or, you can finely mince chicken or shrimp instead.
Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe
Recipes You’ll Love:
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 12 oz bags shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, or wok, heat a drizzle of oil over medium heat and add pork. Break pork into pieces while browning until cooked through and there is no more pink.
- If a lot of liquid in the pan, drain.
- Turn the heat to medium, then add the garlic and ginger and sautee for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the cole slaw mix and soy sauce and mix well, stirring often until the cabbage has softened.
- Push the mixture aside while in the pan and crack an egg right into the pan. Start mixing the egg into the pork and cabbage slaw mixture and scramble, fully incorporating the egg into the dish.
- Season with the sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of water if a little dry.
- Place on a serving dish and drizzle sriracha sauce over the top and garnish with the green onion.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!