The Cucumber Tea Sandwich is an English tradition at high tea. It’s a perfect light lunch or small snack to satisfy those hunger pangs. Crunchy, cool, creamy and herb packed, these little delights will never get old.
If you are also at the point of your garden harvest where the mound of cucumbers becomes overwhelming, fret not. No, you don’t need to make another batch of pickles. No, you you do not need to eat another cucumber salad. Yes, you will make this recipe today because it is exactly what you need to finish off the cuke harvest with a bang!
Don’t give away those fresh cukes just yet. Instead, go snip some fresh herbs from the garden and grab some lovely cheeses and get in the kitchen. You’ll love this little vegetarian sandwich as much as we do!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
What you’ll need
I like to find ways to incorporate favorite ingredients into dishes in new and interesting ways. Here, I decided to incorporate herbed Goat Cheese into the recipe for some extra luxury.
Traditionally the goat cheese is not used, but I like to add it for a little extra tang and the herbed package I had on hand provided a little extra pack of flavor.
For this recipe you will need:
- Whole wheat bread (or try this Low Carb Almond Bread recipe!)
- Fresh herbs: Chives, parsley, dill
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cream Cheese
- Herbed Goat Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Fresh Lemon
Preparing the dish
This is a simple and refreshing lunch that comes together as quickly as it does cheaply.
First, you’ll want to combine the goat cheese and cream cheese into a small bowl and mix well. Add the lemon zest as well as the powdered herbs (garlic and onion). Stir together and set aside at room temp.
Then, you’ll want to take your chilled cucumber and peel it, removing the dark green skin. Slice thinly. You can use up to 1/2 cucumber for 1 sandwich, or a whole one for 2 sandwiches.
Take your untoasted, soft whole wheat bread and trim off the crust to make little squares.
By now, the cheeses will have warmed enough to be spreadable. Smear the herbed cheese over both slices of bread generously. Arrange the cucumbers over one of the slices and top with the fresh chopped herbs.
Recipes You’ll Love:
- Zucchini Pasta Sauce Recipe
- Classic Wedge Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Easy Shrimp Po’ Boy Sandwich
- Sprouts and Avocado Vegetarian Sandwich
- Low Carb Almond Flour Bread
Cucumber Tea Sandwich
- 1 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp Herbed Goat Cheese
- 2 small stalks chives/green onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh green onions chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 English cucumber thinly sliced and peeled
- 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread crust removed
- Combine cream cheese and goat cheese along with lemon zest, garlic & onion powders, salt and pepper, in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice cucumber
- Remove crust from bread
- Spread cream cheese mixture to both slices of bread
- Arrange and layer the slices cucumbers on one side
- Top with chopped onions and serve