Jazz up your tired old BBQ sauce smothered chicken on the grill with these delicious bacon wrapped chicken drumsticks. Seasoned to perfection and wrapped in salty, sweet, bacon, this is a low carb chicken recipe that will have you licking your fingers clean!
This dish is not only a nice addition to your recipe box in general, but also a great one to add for any type of meal prepping.
These drumsticks can be reheated and are amazing leftovers. I actually like to eat them cold, right out of the refrigerator!
However, you can reheat them in the microwave and enjoy them the next day!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
As I always say, the best recipe variations are the ones that allow you to use what you have already, or, what’s on sale.
This recipe works just as fine if you want to use chicken thighs, wings, legs, or even boneless breasts.
Follow the recipe below if you’re option for anything bone-in. Otherwise, if you’re cooking with the chicken breast, I recommend stuffing it first with swiss cheese and then wrapping it.
Same goes for the bacon. If you would like to save on calories, try using turkey bacon instead!
We like to use Applegate, Organic Uncured Sunday Bacon from Whole Foods.
Preparing the drumsticks
First, you want to marinade the chicken in a simple chicken rub. I like to use The Spice Hunter Salt Free Poultry Grill & Broil Blend. It’s a great blend that doesn’t include extra salt. You’ll get plenty of salt from the bacon, which makes this such a great options.
It’s a good mix of herbs, tang (from the mustard) and a little heat from the red pepper flakes.
Lightly drizzle extra virgin olive oil onto the drumsticks. Then, generously season the chicken with the spice blend and and coat evenly. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.
In this recipe, we will be cooking the bacon wrapped chicken in the oven. Before you marinade, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
As you allow the marinade to sit for awhile to really flavor the meat, you’ll also want to bring your bacon to room temperature.
Once ready, take each drumstick and wrap each one with 2-3 slices of bacon (depending on how large they are). Wrap them tightly enough so they can’t easily fall off, but not so tightly that it stretches and breaks.
Depending on how much you’re cooking, how long drumsticks go in the oven will vary. We purchased a package of 8, which means we’ll bake them for one hour, flipping them halfway through.
I also prefer to cook them in the oven and bake them instead of on the grill. For me, the bacon also cooks too quickly before the chicken cooks through, causing a very dry bacon wrapping. I think next time, I’ll try to smoke them!
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks
Recipes You’ll Love:
- Tangy Mustard BBQ Chicken
- Spinach Dip Smothered Chicken
- Loaded Baked Low Carb Chicken
- Chicken with Creamy Dill Pan Sauce
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp The Spice Hunter Salt Free Poultry Grill & Broil Blend
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 8 oz Bacon Applegate Organic Uncured Sunday Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Tenderize chicken by poking it with a fork on all sides
- Place the drumsticks in an oven-safe glass baking dish and drizzle olive oil over chicken
- Then, sprinkle the spice blend over the chicken and mix well so all sides of the chicken are covered well
- Wrap each drumstick with bacon, using enough bacon to cover completely
- Set aside to rest for 30 minutes
- Once rested, you can add any chopped veggies you’d like, or nothing at all
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes, rotate, then bake for another 25 minutes
- Finish it off by switching your oven to broiler mode on high, and remove the foil
- Broil for 5 minutes
- Check for doneness and serve!